LITERACY AND LANGUAGE DIFFICULTIES IN SCHOOL-AGED CHILDRENSpeech Therapy for Children
Speech-language pathologists (S-LPs) play a significant role assessing and treating language difficulties in school-aged children. A child’s knowledge of language is necessary to support school and social success.
If your child is experiencing a language disorder they may have difficulty with:
- Learning new words
- Understanding questions or instructions
- Remembering story plots and details
- Explaining their ideas or academic concepts
- Telling a story
- Forming grammatical sentences
- Matching sounds to letters
- Writing and Spelling
How Can a Speech-Language Pathologist Help?
An S-LP plays a very important role in ensuring that your child reaches their potential for adequate school, home and social communication. An S-LP can assess your child’s language, reading and writing, and the cognitive skills underlying language skills, such as verbal memory (e.g. memory for instructional language).
S-LP therapy will support your child in:
- Developing age-appropriate grammatical structures
- Improving their ability to verbally explain ideas and stories
- Improving their ability to understand words, instructions and stories
- Developing age-appropriate reading and writing skills
Proudly serving the following locations through our Richmond Hill Ontario office:
Bradford | Vaughan | Maple | Arora | Woodbridge | Oak Ridges | Stouffville | Markham | North York
Proudly serving the following locations through our Ajax Ontario office:
Stouffville | Uxbridge | Pickering | Whitby | Oshawa | Scarborough
We are working on opening another office in Toronto as well as Mississauga, and will update when they are open.
Aurora | Newmarket | Markham | Thornhill | GTA | Mississauga | Brampton | Burlington | Ajax | Oshawa | Pickering | Ottawa